Sunday, February 27, 2011

Excuses, Excuses

This is the post that I've been dreading/anticipating. Dreading because when I talk to people about their excuses for why they aren't active, it drives me crazy! Anticipating because now I can finally list all the excuses I've heard, and hopefully I can come up with good enough solutions to each of them!
So get ready...this article is not for the faint of heart. Or maybe it is.

Here are some of the most popular/most often used excuses I've heard:

-I'm broke
-Inclement weather
-I can't get time away from the kids or I can't afford a babysitter
-I don't like to exercise
-Going to the gym intimidates me
-I feel like I don't know where to start or what I'm doing
-Being out of my comfort zone physically does not empower me, but frightens me
-I don't like to sweat or do physically demanding things
-Exercise is boring
-No motivation
-I think that diet and eating right by itself is enough to stay at a healthy weight
-I don't like most of the things to do to exercise/I don't like the classes that are offered
-I don't know any modifications or different versions of an exercise to try for a certain condition I have
-Doing just a little exercise won't make a difference as opposed to doing a hard workout, so why try at all?
-I'm too overweight to exercise
-I don't want to get too big and bulky
-People judge me at the gym
-I can't do what most people can when it comes to exercise/I'm out of my league

And if anybody has any other excuses or reasons that they know of have about why they don't exercise, please let me know!
Alright, now it's time for addressing and finding solutions to allllll these excuses:

-I'm broke-As long as you have a decent pair of tennis shoes, that's all you need to exercise. Walking is one of the best forms of exercise: it's low impact, it's easily accessible, and it's FREE! Like to run? That's free too!
For those of you who feel like walking and running isn't enough exercise, and you don't know how to increase the load, stay tuned because in a few posts I will be writing about how and when to increase and change your workouts.

-Inclement weather- Too cold? Bundle up! Too hot? Strip down! Still too hot? Dance in your house to your favorite music for 30 minutes. Involve your kids in the dance...they'll go to bed easier! Rainy? Wear that really cheesy and tacky rain coat that you hate wearing and only get out when it's twister season. Or a pancho. Ha. Sorry, I think panchos are hilarious. Don't have a pancho? Wear a trash bag!! Ha! Snowing? Bundle up...again! I saw a man trying to walk in 8 inches of snow when it was 13 degrees outside. Go get 'em!
Now, of course if it starts to hail, or there's a hurricane or tornado, please use discretion when deciding if you should exercise outside or not. I'm just sayin'...

-Can't afford time away from kids, or a babysitter- You can ALWAYS afford time away from the kids. I may not have children, but I do have 3 nephews and a niece and both of my sisters, when they deliberately try, are able to get at least 30 minutes to themselves. Or maybe even take the kids for a walk in the stroller. Get up earlier than they do (yes, I went there), or maybe do your own little thing while they nap. Can't afford a sitter? Then ask any family members near by to watch your kids 2 days a week for an hour. A friend, a neighbor, somebody from church; I'm sure you can find somebody to help! If not, you gotta get out there and make some friends! ;)

-I don't like to exercise- This statement all depends on what the person thinks is exercise. If they hate to go to the gym, then by all means, don't go. But that doesn't mean you still can't exercise! Take a walk, a run, hike, go biking, go to the playground with your kids and run around with them, throw a frisbee in the park, swim, ride horses, roller blading, ice skating, go play a sport like football or basketball, play tag with your kids, etc.
Exercise doesn't mean going to the gym; it means challenging your body and helping it to function better.

-Going to the gym intimidates me- Yeah, it intimidates me too, and I work at a gym! People looking pretty and breathing loud and heavy and smelling bad and sweating is gross and intimidating. Many individuals go to the gym to look at themselves in the mirror and to make their muscles bigger (trust me, I've seen it). So it's about being the bigger man and going to the gym to do your own thing. Don't worry about the tan, skinny made-up blonde prancing on the treadmill next to you. You don't know her or her story, and she doesn't know anything about you. It's not about judging. Besides, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Introduce yourself, make a friend. That way the next time you go, you have someone you can talk to and connect with.

-I feel like I don't know where to start or what I'm doing- If you have no idea where to even start, get online! You can go online and google or youtube hundreds of exercise videos. Just be wary of people who don't know what they're doing. I'd say try websites like Women's Health Magazine, ACSM, or go to the bookstore and look in the exercise/fitness section. There's bound to be somebody working there who may have an idea about what to look at. If not, ASK ME! I'd LOVE to help! If you have no idea about what you're doing, it's always best, especially at a workout facility, to ask whoever is working there to give you a quick introductory orientation about the facility and its equipment. If that doesn't help, ask them about any specific machine or exercise. They usually (for the most part) know what they're talking about.

-Being out of my comfort zone physically does not empower me, but frightens me - This is a very understandable statement. And it's all the more a reason to get moving! Try to connect with a friend and see if you can exercise together twice a week. That way you know you're suffering with somebody else, and they can help you or talk with you if something feels scary or weird. And again, get online! WebMD is a great website to go to and research about the actual science behind exercise. Knowing what's happening to your body is a strong and useful tool, and it will help you help yourself.

-I don't like to sweat or do physically demanding things- One specific person comes to my mind when I hear this statement: my mother. She HATES to sweat. If she could live in a snow-globe, she would. BUT, she still gets out and does her power walks and gardens whenever she can. And she lives in Tennessee for cryin' out loud! If she has to, she'll get up extra early so she can garden or walk before the sun gets too hot. Now that's what I'm talking about. Sweat may gross people out, or doing physically demanding stuff may freak people out, but what's harder to cope with? Sweat and hard work, or coronary artery disease? Or heart disease? Or high blood pressure? Or diabetes?
Just something to think about.

-Exercise is boring- I hear ya! It can definitely get boring. So...change it up! Punch the air in front of you when you walk (which will also increase your heart rate! whew!), add jumping jacks every few minutes, listen to some AWESOME music, go somewhere else that's different than your normal route, watch your favorite show, listen to an audio book, work out with a friend who can talk to you while you move, call a friend and chat, etc. Or change up your routine. Just run once a week. Then maybe hike, or walk, or swim, or bike. Maybe go do a fun class like kettlebells (wink, wink), or zuuuumba! Get some aggression out with kickboxing, or relax with yoga or pilates. Do some research  and educate yourself.

-No motivation- This is definitely something I struggle with. You may ask, how is that possible? I'm a trainer, after all. Yes I am, for other people. But when it comes to my own workouts, it's hard to be motivated, especially when I'm on my own. So I gotta get creative. Some suggestions I have are call a friend to hold you accountable, join a class so you build it into your schedule, if your budget allows it get a trainer, find different and more exciting workouts to do, start writing in a health journal and talk about how you feel when you do exercise and when you don't, exercise with a group of people who can give you support.

-I think that dieting and eating right by themselves are enough to stay at a healthy weight- That's definitely one way to stay at a healthy weight. But it's not the best way. Your body still needs to be strong, flexible, adaptable, and well-balanced. Exercise helps prevent heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, injuries, and obesity. These are things that only eating right cannot help.

-I don't like most of the things to do to exercise/I don't like the classes that are offered - Then do a little research and see what's out there. There are so many options for exercise out there. Thousands of people offer so many different kinds of physical activity in your area, you just have to do a little research and figure it out! If not that, then look for other forms of exercise that you can do yourself. Bounce ideas off of your friends to see what things you can come up with.

-I don't know any modifications or different versions of an exercise to try for a certain condition I have - People who usually struggle with this issue have a doctor who have approved them for exercise. If this is the case, see if your physician can direct you in finding helpful advice about what kind of exercise you should be doing. If not, try going to a local physical therapy clinic and ask to have a quick chat with one of their therapists. Also, there are plenty of trainers who should know (plenty do not, so be careful) many modifications for many exercises and conditions. Talk with a trainer, a fitness attendant, or a fitness class instructor. If an instructor cannot give you modifications for their class, you should try a different class. Because that means that that instructor is not educated enough!

-Doing just a little exercise won't make a difference as opposed to doing a hard workout, so why try at all? - This is the "all or nothing" mentality that many people have. It usually corresponds with the "diet mentality" : "I've already eaten too many oreos, I may as well eat the whole bag", or "I ate too much or too badly yesterday, so I won't eat much today". This kind of thinking is what I like to call "stinkin' thinkin'", or what many people that I know would say "get rid of the itty bitty sh***y committee!" (cough cough, Teri H? ;) ). But it's true! If you have 10 minutes, take a quick walk! If you get three 10 minute breaks throughout your work day, why not snack on an apple while taking a brisk walk? By the end of your busy day at work, you have done cardio for 30 minutes! Because guess what? Doing something is better than doing nothing! Now say that to yourself 10 more times! Or else...

-I'm too overweight to exercise - If that's the case, then you really need to start moving! Just doing what you can is a success in it of itself. If all you can do right now is walk to your front door from the couch, then do that 2-3 times a day for a week. Then try walking to your mailbox and back. Then try the neighbor's mailbox, and so on. Do what you can that's right for you, and nobody else.

-I don't want to get too big and bulky - If you're a woman and you're saying this, then I've got some bad news for you, or good, depends on how you look at it. The beauty of being a woman is, unless you are one of those rare cases where you are already muscular without doing anything active, or if you're taking steroids, then you are not going to get bulky. Women do not have enough testosterone in their body to create big, bulky muscles. You can get toned, but I guarantee that you will not be getting massive or cut in any way if you do a little strength training 1-2 times a week.

-People judge me at the gym- Yes, they do. People also judge each other at the mall, at a restaurant, in the grocery store, at the movies, at work, at school. What else is new? Forget about what people think of you and what you're doing for your health and well being. Nobody has to live your life except for YOU. So make the most of it! Why would I name my blog "Live Out Loud" if I didn't believe it? It's stressful worrying about what people think of you. Trust me, I'm guilty of it and I get worn out a lot from it. Do what's best for you. People don't know you or your story, and you don't know theirs. Give them the benefit of the doubt, and live your life to its fullest. You get out of life what you put into it.

-I can't do what most people can when it comes to exercise/I'm out of my league - If this is the case, then start slooooow. Just do a small amount of exercise a few times a week. Then increase it whenever you feel like it's getting easier. Start doing simple and basic exercises. Don't make it too confusing or complicated. You'll get better. You're never too uncoordinated, old, young, handicapped, etc. to exercise. Again, it's all about creativity!

With all this to say, I hope this helps. If anybody has any more questions, feel free to comment or shoot me an email.













 

2 comments:

  1. go gurl
    I got up this morning and did the stretch/exercise with the 5:30 fitness lady on PBS! 1st time ever.
    she makes it look easy.......it's not.
    I think at one point she said "some of you might experience your legs 'quivering' while doing this leg-lift, but don't worry, no one ever died from 'quivering'...!...hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abby! I was led to your blog through a hometown connection. You are so encouraging and truthful! After returning to the states from living oversees, my health and nutrition has declined significantly and I have used many of the excuses you listed. I appreciate the honesty in your words, it reads like a good friend challenging me.

    Bless you Sister!

    ReplyDelete