Friday, June 24, 2011

I Watched Food, Inc. And I Still Eat Meat


I just recently watched the documentary Food, Inc. As mind blowing as I knew it was going to be, I'm glad I watched it. A lot of people I know who haven't watched it say it just brainwashes people into being vegetable loving hippies who want to save the animals and the planet. The funny thing is, and they touch on this in the movie, is that they do their best to try to unveil the realities of the food industry today. They have tried their best in this movie to show that we've already been brainwashed and how to wake up and see what's really happening to our food and what it does to our bodies, environment, and society.

They touch on a lot of really important issues, such as the handling and treatment of livestock and meat, the feed that is given to the livestock, the farmers who provide the feed and livestock to the major meat companies, the meat and food that is making adult and childhood obesity go through the roof, the effects of dirty meat and E. Coli outbreaks, the local independent farmers who are trying to change the way America eats food, the issue of illegal immigrants and their dangerous working conditions, and much more.

In case you were wondering, just for the record, I LOVE MEAT!
That being said, I will also say that I'm a part-time vegetarian.
Many people who discover this about me either scoff, laugh, or straight up just ask me why part-time? Because, like I said, I love meat! However, I do not trust where our food comes from anymore. I do not trust our government companies who take the easy, cheap, and fastest way out using illegal immigrants to work, instead of the more intentional, natural, and affordable path giving millions of jobless Americans a way to work.
Therefore, if I know exactly where my meat has derived from, how it's been handled (both living and butchered), who has been handling it, and how far it traveled, then I will consider to buy the meat, but only if it follows my expectations:

-animals must be humanely treated - Meaning they've had ample space to move around and carry on appropriate behaviors, had safe and clean living quarters that lessen their chances of injury and not living in their own manure, and are handled with care.
-organic, clean, no hormones, antibiotics, or corn-fed- I don't want meat that has any ammonia-cleansed filler (this makes up 70% of most beef products) or blood and manure that has been unintentionally but lazily processed with it, no hormones to make the chicken, cow, or pig grow faster and bigger, no antibiotics to treat all of the E. Coli found in the meat, and no meat that was given corn instead of grass that increased E. Coli growth.
-animals that are farmed locally- This is a harder expectation to meet, but it happens more than people think; it takes so much money and fuel to transport millions of meat across the country. So why not save on all of that and try to buy chickens, beef, pork, eggs, cheese, and milk local? Yes it can be very expensive; but wouldn't you rather eat and drink animal products every other day or sparingly throughout the week than eat and drink modified, crappier versions of the real thing every day?
-farms who employ American citizens and/or legal immigrants of proper age- This helps lower the instance of having illegal immigrants, forced labor, and child slaves who could care less about the product working in harsh, dangerous, and life-threatening conditions for low wages and 60 hour work-weeks. When they get caught, they get arrested, but not the major meat company-heads who knowingly employ illegal immigrants. What is wrong with this picture?!
I've also been asked if I became a part-time vegetarian after I watched this film, Food, Inc. The answer is no, I did not. I became a part-time vegetarian almost a year ago. And although it was a struggle at the beginning, because meat has been such a big part of my life growing up and I am the only one in my family that has made this decision, it's gotten easier throughout these past few months. I will admit that the summertime makes it easier to be a vegetarian than the winter months. With farmers' markets in full swing who have such fresh and pure products, it's easy to have variety and creativity. But boy do I love a good ham or roast in the winter, or even beef stew. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it again when this winter comes.
Also, I try not to be an inconvenient part-time vegetarian. If I go over to somebody's house and they have meat and vegetables, then I'm just going to stick with the veggies and whatever else they have. But if the main meal is only meat, I will be thankful for that food and eat it heartily instead of asking if they have anything else. I do still have my southern hospitality manners after all!

You may then wonder how I acquire enough protein in my diet, especially being as active as I am. Here are just a few things that I have incorporated more into my nutrition since I've made meat scarce:

-Homemade black bean patties (click here for the recipe)
-Organic cheese
-Organic milk
-Local organic eggs
-Greek yogurt (Chobani isn't bad)
-Homemade hummus
-Peanut Butter/Sunflower Seed Butter
-Quinoa (the only plant derived grain that has all 8 essential amino acids that make up protein)
-Applegate Farms meat (very sparingly because they're a tad pricey); click here to read about their products.

With all this to say, I hope my honesty and food choices have sparked your interest into learning more about what you're putting into your body and what kind of corrupted food industry we unknowingly contribute billions of dollars to. There's a reason why many people in this world don't care about what they eat or where their food comes from.  One of the biggest reasons is because they have been blind to the reality of it all because these major companies don't want us to know. These companies have also made us believe that it's not a big deal if we don't care, and that it's normal to make the more convenient, unhealthy choice than the educated, healthier choice. There's also a reason why childhood and adult obesity and diabetes are rapidly spreading throughout this country.
Maybe it can be said this way: ignorance is bliss.
Or is it?
But that's for another post.


For more information on how to start being a vegetarian, or at least part-time vegetarian, feel free to email me at abbymeeks@gmail.com.

And please, for your sake, check out the movie Food, Inc. just to get a taste of what you're really eating (pun intended!).

To learn more about our government and agriculture, click here.
To learn more about the U. S. Food And Drug Administration, click here.


Educate yourself!



I know, I had to.

No comments:

Post a Comment